Knowledgebase: Security & Privacy
Big Phone Bills & Hidden Dialers
Posted by Clarke M on 03 April 2006 08:21 PM
The Evil Hidden Dialers |
Heard about the thousand dollar phone bills people have been receiving which bell refuses to refund?
Either way you answer that question, you certainly want to be able to reduce the risk of this happening to you.
These problems are a result of number of computer viruses which cause your computer to dial out to any number of long distance numbers.
This is what happens:
1. You click on a pop up or on some malicious web site's link. As a result, a program is downloaded and installed on your computer.
2. While you are away, the dialer calls and connects to a computer somewhere outside of North America. You get to foot the bill.
3. Since the companies are in other nations, there is no legal recourse.
4. Bell refuses to refund any money.
5. You, the end user, end up miserable and frustrated.
So how do you protect yourself?
Get SpyBot Search and Destroy (It's Free!)
This program will detect and delete malicious dialers.
1. Go to http://www.safer-networking.org/
2. Click the DOWNLOAD link in the top right
3. Scroll down to Download
4. Click the Download Here link to the right of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 - product description.
5. Click on any one of the mirror links on the page that shows up. Download.com is a safe bet.
Once you download the program, run it to install it. It will create an icon on the desktop and in the start menu.
Run the program by double-clicking the icon on the desktop.
A tutorial on how to set up and run SpyBot S&D is available at: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=tutorial
Another safe bet is to always turn off and unplug your phone line from your computer while it is not in use!